Open Discussion: Strategic Negotiation

Hey Community, I’m Nick, a former talent manager and now part of the candidate support team here at Triplebyte. I know from my time as a talent manager that negotiations are often a tough nut to crack for engineers (hell, anybody). Whether it’s informational disparities, juggling deadlines, figuring out how to make your ask, or anything inbetween, there’s a lot to consider. On top of all that, most people only need to negotiate a few times every couple of years, so it’s easy to be out of practice or out of the know. I’ve had the privilege of working on an excellent team of recruiters, and helping over 100 engineers successfully negotiate their offers during my time at Triplebyte. Since I get to interact with these topics so often, I thought this would be a good chance to share some of the things I’ve learned and found effective.

Feel free to ask any questions (hopefully related to negotiations/offers,) and I’ll do my best to share what I know. I’m going to be active on the Community for most of the day, until around 5PM Pacific. I’ll be trying to respond to anybody who hops on between my regular daily work, so please bear with me!

Also, if an internet forum isn’t your cup of tea, or you want to talk through even more, I’m going to be hosting an informal negotiation webinar tomorrow (5/29) over Zoom at 3PM Pacific. I’m planning on having 15 spots open, so if you’d be interested in coming to share your experiences, hear new strategies, or just hear from fellow engineers, please let me know. You can email me at nick@triplebyte.com to let me know you’re interested, and as long as there are open spots, I’ll be sure to add you in.

Edit: Feel free to keep things anonymous as far as company names/specifics. The TB Community is open to view, to help make it easier to share, but if there’s anything you wouldn’t want current/past/future employers to know, keep it vague. I’ll still do my best to respond!

2 Likes

Hi Nick,
I’m writing since my annual review is approaching. I’m working from home since March due to the current situation, and I’m sincerely doing pretty well. I had the opportunity to come back to the places where I grew up and work away from the “big city”.

I’d like to ask for a full-time remote contract to my company. There are already other colleagues that work remotely, but their situations are pre-COVID. For what I know, I could be the first to ask for this type of contract (but I don’t think I’d be the last).
I made this decision, and one way or another I’ll try to find a remote job, but I’d like to continue working on my current company. Do you have any suggestions on how to approach this delicate argument?

Team Candor have a lot of good articles that touch on salary negotiations in tech.

1 Like