Open Source / Open Core 8Qubit Quantum Computer

So, all this talk about quantum computers made me want one of my own. Unfortunately nobody is selling them, so I started looking into how they actually worked before settling on using the KLM protocol.

There’s far too much to explain in one posting, so I’ll try to keep it brief.

The digital aspect of the computer is going to be built around the Allwinner H6 processor, a linux-capable processor used in devices like the Raspberry Pi, the goal is to have a fairly easy to use development computer which you can boot into and experiment with.

The quantum aspect is still very much a work in progress, I’ve been experimenting with macro-scale optics and the completed quantum processor will rely heavily on fiber optics. Everything works on paper, but because it’s a probabilistic system and some of the logic gates have a high failure rate we basically have to brute-force it until we get a run without errors, an algorithm with 3-9 controlled gate instructions should take ~1 second to complete, and this scales drastically depending on the exact instructions to the point where a few hundred instructions are going to take hours to execute (including pre and post-processing).

It’s also a fairly expensive build, I estimate between $8-10k in parts.

Anyway, just thought I’d share the project if anyone was interested :slight_smile:
I’ve also been working on an EDA software to convert OpenQASM directly into an application specific quantum circuit, these should run much faster and not scale nearly as badly as the processor does in its’ current iteration.

For those interested in checking it out, the github is here