Programming Interview Questions Are Too Hard and Too Short - Triplebyte Blog

tl;dr Programming interview questions can feel unnecessarily difficult. Sometimes they actually are. And this isn't just because they make interviews excessively stressful. Our data shows that harder programming questions actually do a worse job of predicting final outcomes than easier ones.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://triplebyte.com/blog/interview-questions-are-too-hard-and-too-short

I agree completely. Often when giving an interview, I like to offer real problems we have solved and give bounds to make it reasonable to answer during an interview time-frame. I will even give hints in areas that aren’t relevant to the actual part of the problem I’m looking to see how the applicant thinks. Too many hiring managers seem to think asking the hardest one word answered question can yield great results. Unfortunately, that only yields knowledge and no cognitive, perseverance, or attitude factors which can be far more telling about an applicants fit for the position.