The Hottest Language Go-ing Needs More Engineers - Triplebyte Blog

Go skills are a hot commodity on the engineering job market. Right now on Triplebyte, the newcomer back-end-oriented programming language is the fifth most popular kind of tech stack experience that recruiters filter candidates by. In total, Go has been included in over 21% of all such searches on the platform since the beginning of the year.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://triplebyte.com/blog/the-hottest-language-go-ing-needs-more-engineers

I hate to say it but the elephant in the room with Go is the brace fascism. Most coders take pride in their work and that includes formatting their code in a neat style i.e. Allman brace style rather than K&R. Because Go prevents choice it puts many people off even though it has many great features and would otherwise be a great language. The problem is that Go proponents don’t accept this because they are self-selected K&R advocates and therefore there is a survivor bias and no recognition of the problem. Everybody I’ve tried to get interested in Go is immediately repelled by this - sorry but it needs fixing.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess it’s obvious why the rigidity of the language is something that org managers love. Makes sense that some engineers wouldn’t. Do you think these surveys that show Go being a “Most Wanted” language by engineers are a bit off?

Guess I was ahead of the times - I was writing Golang full time for almost 4 years, but couldn’t find any Golang roles when I was looking for new opportunities in 2019. I still don’t see a ton of Golang postings when I look, however the few I do see is way more than I saw a year ago. I still use go for personal utilities tho - I wouldn’t give it up for anything!

1 Like

I would say they are off, but I’m sour. I didn’t have much luck when I was looking for Golang roles, despite having experience. When I spoke to companies at meetups who were beginning to use Go, they were pockets of internal teams that were pioneering use cases for the company. They were not hiring externally for Golang engineers.

1 Like

I rarely see Go specific job positions. Its usually companies tacking it on the end of a large list of random unrelated programming languages that qualify them for the job so their company appears relevant.

Go is really bad for research and development tasks. If i want to write a program and test out some API endpoints every single piece of code has to be used in my script. I can’t test things out without getting errors everywhere. I cant run half of my code by commenting stuff out. I have to manually nitpick and send everything to the _ variable. This kind of thing probably works great for Google’s gigantic 20,000 developer communist regime, but for the average developer at X company its just annoying.

The second worst part of Go is the Go community that thinks godoc is enough documentation.
Most repos have a completely empty GitHub wiki page, no getting started code besides maybe a useless hello world message.

Here is an example https://github.com/gdamore/tcell/

To understand how to use a library like this, you need to probably start looking at the main method, which isn’t named main, so you need to find it first. Then trace step by step every function call through every file to determine which structs and functions you need to use to put together a coherent and well thought out application. This will take hours.

I really love go but there are a lot of trade offs that are superficial limitations and they make alternative programming languages more desirable.

1 Like