What does the future of software engineering look like?

Hi everyone,

I am a young early-career professional still exploring his passions trying to find a balance of fields I want to specialize in. I have trouble researching software engineering job reports, trends, and future outlooks/discussions.

What are some resources you guys might recommend?

I’m hoping to find things that can answer questions similar to:

1. What does the future of mobile development look like?
  2. Is VR/AR software development going to grow? Will there be careers in this niche?
  3. What are some possible types of software engineering jobs that could come in the next 5-10 years?
  4. Job market datasets analyzing programming languages, descriptions, roles, frameworks, etc.

Hi, Aram
Most of the recent 20-30 years Software Engineers converted paper based operations into computer based programs. So basically we ware normalizing our world around us into objects and relations between them. It is called analytical accounting, it is needed for human decision making. This kind of activity is about to be over. The current advancements are in the area of ML, which is about automated decision making, bypassing human being. We don’t need analytical accounting as we know it anymore, we don’t need normalization of objects into databases, because we don’t need humans in decision making process because they are slow to process volume of data we consume. We are capable to consume data without human key input in form of video, audio and automated logs, so humans are not needed in contemporary systems of input. So that process of data normalization is also not needed.
Resume:

• VR/AR is just a form of data visualization, it is your future monitor and keyboard, so don’t bother about them.
  • UI in its general form will continue to degrade down to basic visual interfaces like google search. Interfaces having no UI will continue to proliferate: voice controlled devices, all sorts of automation having no displays or minimal usage of UI: cars, robotics and etc.
  • Proportion of Data Processing will only grow further and further
    So be careful UI automation jobs will continue to go away as a class. Companies building business around human driven analytical accounting will fade out. Algorithmic optimizations and ML based decisions are non-comprehensible to humans, so data normalization, visualizations and UI are just waste of time, but they account for major volume of work software companies do. Taking into account inefficiencies introduced by humans this kind of work swallows into huge business activities. So be careful not to be inside of that IT Operations Bubble when it explodes.
2 Likes

I feel your answer was focused on computing as a means to accomplish tasks, and in that context I agree with your prediction that human interaction with the computing system will diminish moving forward. However, there are other uses for computers for which human input and visualization are essential and desirable components- gaming and socializing for example. I assume bots aren’t going to play the games for us and have face to face conversations on our behalf. That would defeat the purpose.

1 Like

On-line games are future bonanza of social profiling. Kids play hundreds of hours in team based computer games, if you do proper logs analysis you can get detail behavioral patterns about everyone. How person behaves in stressful situation, how well player cooperates with other players, leadership skills, support, honesty, betrayal and so on. The future profits of on-line gaming are in collecting that background information about players and selling it to the potential employers in the real life.
So, yes, on-line games developers are next in-line for Senate hearings for violating privacy of Americans :slight_smile:

2 Likes